Thursday 3 February 2011

Granddad, That's not a Sixpence!

When going to the shops one day
my Granddad found a tanner;
and ever since we passed that way
we'd bend down in his manner.

We didn't mind what people thought
or if they found it strange.
We knew that one day we would find
some more lost loose change.

He'd prod things with his walking stick
at things I'd think were funny
from bottle tops to bubble gum,
saying  'Where there's Muck, there's Money'

So I'd follow close behind him
and try to do the same.
He made me laugh my Granddad 
and we often played that game. 



"Wotcha found Granddad?"









'Tanner' = small silver coloured coin equivalent to six pre-decimal old pennies (sixpence) worth about two and a half  decimal pence or 12 cents and withdrawn as currency in 1971.

No comments: